Very yummy savoury muffins that you can add whatever extra fillings you like too- I added red and green peppers, chilli flakes and coriander, but some nice sausage or sundried tomatoes would be great too, some spring onions, some corgette, whatever really!
Here’s the recipe/cals:
Mini Polenta Muffins
*Makes 24 small, or 12 larger. Recipe doesn’t rise v much, so can fill muffin cases to the brim which should therefore fit in 12 cases. I didn’t know how much rise there’d be, so I half filled 24 cases, making 24 mini muffins.
- 265g wholemeal self raising flour = 879c
- 175g polenta = 591c
- 30g caster sugar = 122c
- 1 tsp baking powder = 0
- pinch salt = 0
- 250g tub light Dairy Farmers Sour Cream (alternatively 250ml butter milk) = 497c
- 100g butter, melted = 715c
- 1 egg = 69c
- teaS chilli flakes = 0
- 37g green pepper, diced small = 7c
- 66g red pepper, diced small = 20c
- 7g coriander, finely chopped = 3c
Total 2903 / 24 muffins = 120c per muffin
- Preheat oven to 175c
- Mix sifted flour, polenta, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Chop any additions and add them to the dry mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix up your butter milk, melted butter and egg.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients till just combined. If a bit too dry, add a small dash of water. Mixture should be thick/textured- should not be goopy. Might look different if using butter milk instead of sour cream though, so this relates to sour cream usage.
- Spoon into cupcake/muffin cases and cook in the oven for c. 35 mins.
*** Note: Original recipe said 20 mins in the oven, but mine took an extra 15 minutes more to go golden brown. Probably due to sour cream instead of buttermilk at a guess, so depending what you’re using, check after 20 mins to see how they’re doing.
For a lower cal version:
- Use marge instead of butter
- Use butter milk or skimmed milk with lemon/vinegar instead of sour cream.
- Omit sugar altogether. Orig recipe said 60g, but I cut it in half for this first attempt, but since they’re savoury muffins I might omit the sugar altogether next time as I don’t think it’s really necessary.
- Could use egg whites instead of whole egg?